10 Smart Door Locks That Work With Alexa: August, Schlage, & More
Since Amazon announced the new feature just months ago, several smart lock companies have lined up to echo their products' compatibility with Alexa. Starting with Schlage smart locks, promptly followed by August and Yale devices, the Amazon assistant will now be able to unlock many smart door locks via a simple voice command.
The feature can be enabled when the user sets up a PIN through the Alexa app. However, take note: the PIN must be repeated correctly when users ask Alexa to unlock the door — otherwise, after 3 wrong PINS, Alexa will disable the feature.
Let's take a peek at which smart door locks work with Alexa.
10 Alexa-compatible smart locks
August Smart Lock, 3rd Generation
The August 3rd Generation smart lock attaches easily to your existing door lock, allowing you to continue to use your existing keys whenever you wish.
Users can also track activity at their front door using the 24/7 Activity Feed.
Door Sense lets you know whether your door is open or closed, and also locks automatically behind you as you leave and unlocks as you approach.
More info about August's 3rd Generation Smart Lock
Voice assistant & smart home support: The August smart lock works with:
- Amazon Alexa
- Apple HomeKit
- Google Assistant
- Logitech Harmony
- Xfinity Home
Anything extra cool about it? You can install it easily in 10 minutes or less with just a screwdriver — but if you need help, you can get expert setup for $117.80.
- Super easy to install (there's a how-to video on the app if you need it, also)
- Lock/unlock door thru app from anywhere as long as there's WiFi
- Create guest 'keys' for others with an expiration date (ideal for anyone renting out their home, giving the housekeeper access, or having house guests arrive when they aren't home)
- Works quietly
- Maintains a solid 4-star rating on Amazon after 503 reviews
- Some had problems with the auto lock/unlock being finicky; updates seem to be improving the issue somewhat
- Some reported their device did not work from the start and customer service trouble-shooting did not resolve; others reported problems when using certain phones (i.e. Androids)
- Must have a single-cylinder deadbolt to work with this (check August's compatibility FAQ to see if your lock is compatible)
The August smart lock works beautifully with Alexa for the most part. Super simple installation. Reliable performance for most who've purchased it. Great for anyone with the need to let people in and out of their home while away or those wishing to be hands-free entering/exiting their home (for carrying groceries, etc., without the need to dig in pockets/purse for keys; great for any disabled or elderly folks who have trouble with keys).
Yale Assure Smart Lock
A winner among smart door locks, the Assure was voted #1 Smart Door Lock brand for 2017 by CEPro - and with good reason. The Assure can store up to 250 PIN codes so you can give one to each guest without giving yours out - and you can lock all codes out instantly if the need ever arises.
The touchscreen illuminates when touched, and each number is backlit. Set up is easy, but can be even easier using the built-in voice assistance to guide you.
All you need is a screwdriver to install. The Assure replaces your existing deadbolt and fits on most standard doors.
More info on the Yale Assure smart lock:
Voice assistant & smart home support: The Yale Assure smart lock works with:
Anything extra cool about it? There's a timed lock function that you can set to automatically lock at your preference of 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 2 minutes, or 3 minutes after you've entered the house - so it's great for those who forget to lock the door behind you. It's also available in shiny brass, nickel, or bronze.
- Installation is easy for anyone with a screwdriver
- Two physical keys are also included in case of need
- Works quietly compared to similar smart locks
- Integrates well with SmartThings hub
- Some reported it worked nicely with Scout alarm system as well
- Requires 4 AA batteries to work (although users stated theirs lasted a year or longer)
- Some reported a lack of instructions in the package i.e. setting up app, connecting to hub
- Some needed to drill larger holes in their doors to fit the Assure deadbolt
One of the best smart locks on the market, the Yale Assure has an Alexa-compatible deadbolt and works well with SmartThings, Honeywell, Iris, Wink, Vera, and more — but you'll need to buy a hub first (reviews indicate SmartThings hub integrated effortlessly).
It installs easily with just a screwdriver, but, like the August 3rd Gen, you can also hire an expert if necessary. Great if you need to give out numerous unique PIN codes to staff, kids/kids' friends, or other visitors — with the option to lock them all out if anything goes wrong.
Yale Real Living Key Free Touchscreen Deadbolt
When covering Yale smart locks, we couldn't move on without this one. As Yale continues leading in the development of smart locks for the home, their Real Living Key-Free Deadbolt offers a compact, stylish way to secure the front (or any) door.
There's no key slot on the face of this one; just buttons for you to enter your PIN code - and you can store up to 25 guest codes in it as well.
There's also no standalone app to go with it, but it connects easily with several different smart home programs, enabling features like Alexa.
This smart door lock is available in Oil-Rubbed Bronze, Polished Brass, or Satin Nickel. The first set of required 4 AA batteries are included.
More info about the Yale Real Living smart lock:
Voice assistant & smart home support: The Yale Real Living smart lock works with:
Anything extra cool about it? It accepts up to 25 codes of varying lengths (4-8 digits).
- Easy to setup
- There are no traditional keys or locks with this, so it cannot be picked or bumped like a traditional lock
- Responsive keypad
- Chic, minimalist design
- The strike plate is weak, making it fail the Consumer Reports kick-in test - even though it passed it with a stronger plate in place
- Some felt the auto-lock feature should be adjustable timewise (i.e. only 30 seconds doesn't give some enough time to get properly in the door before it auto-locks "behind" them)
Perfect for anyone who hates carrying keys — you won't need a single key with this setup! Works great with Alexa, when the proper hub is provided. If you can, purchase a more durable strike plate to go with this. The lock itself is very durable, so the strike plate should be as well.
Kwikset 925 Kevo Convert 15
One of the simplest of Kwikset smart locks, the Kwikset Kevo Convert is able to upgrade your existing interior deadbolt into a smart lock programmable with your smart phone — while keeping the exterior lock the same.
Download the Kevo app to lock/unlock the door, keep an access log of who enters and when, and provide electronic keys called eKeys of 3 varieties:
- A key that works anytime
- A guest eKey which expires after 24 hours
- A scheduled eKey set to work during designated dates and times
You can add, delete, or disable eKeys at anytime.
With the Kevo Plus Gateway hub (an extra $99), you'll get remote alerts and voice control with Alexa.
The optional auto-lock gives you 30 seconds to enter, then locks the door behind you.
More info on the Kevo Convert:
Voice assistant & smart home support: The Kevo Convert smart lock works with:
Anything extra cool about it? The Kevo uses Military Grade PKI encryption for multiple layers of security
- Can track and monitor guests entering and their times of arrival/departure
- Comes with a lifetime mechanical and finish warranty, and a 1 year electronics warranty
- Can still use regular keys as backup if needed
- Support center offers videos, FAQ, and more (which is helpful when customer service is not available, as they are not staffed on Sundays or part of Saturday)
- Only compatible with certain cylinder deadbolts such as Kwikset, Weiser, Schlage and Baldwin
- You need the Kevo Plus Connected Hub to set up with Alexa, for an extra $99
- Some received random alerts that the lock was jammed when it wasn't
- Some indicated that connecting to the app took a long time and the auto-unlock feature was slow to recognize them at the door
The Kevo Convert smart lock is ideal for those who can't replace their entire door lock system due to renting or similar situations. The exterior of your door will stay the same, so landlord/maintenance staff can enter as usual. You'll need an Apple iOS 8 or higher or certain Android 5.0 or higher devices for proper compatibility. Be sure to read the reviews prior to making your final decision on the purchase; while some enjoyed their Kevo Convert thoroughly, others found it buggy and slow.
Kwikset SmartCode Deadbolt
The SmartCode smart lock allows you to store up to 30 codes for guests and delete them whenever you wish.
The SmartCode smart door lock automatically locks the door behind you 30 seconds after you've entered/exited.
It requires 4 AA batteries, and comes in bronze, brass, and nickel. The SmartCode Deadbolt works with any Kwikset lever, knob, or handle, installs in minutes with only a screwdriver needed, and comes in a variety of models, shown here.
More info on the SmartCode Deadbolt:
Voice assistant & smart home support: The Kwikset SmartCode smart lock works with:
Anything extra cool about it? Side locking bar technology protects against lock bumping.
- Replaces any deadbolt for convenient keyless entry
- Hit the button as you leave, enter your code as you enter
- Allows up to 30 guest entry codes to be stored; delete any or all of them anytime you wish
- Easily pairs with the SmartThings hub, works well with Alexa
- Maintains a solid 4-star rating on Amazon after 819 reviews
- Smart-Key lets you re-key the lock to your existing key (as long as it's compatible)
- Some reported intermittent connectivity
- Some reported needing to replace batteries frequently
These install easily and have a steadily high rating on Amazon, but do read through reviews before buying. Try purchasing rechargeable batteries if you find you're replacing them frequently. Also, be sure to check battery life before going out, especially in the winter or other inclement weather, to prevent yourself from being locked out.
Schlage Z-Wave Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt
Another of the smart locks that work with Alexa, the Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt offers many unique features including a built-in alarm.
The Schlage Z-Wave Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt comes in several colors. including Satin Nickel, Aged Bronze, Bright Chrome, Camelot, Matte Black, Nickel, Satin Nickel, and Satin Chrome.
This Schlage smart lock has a touchscreen keypad and lock on the exterior and a thumb turn lock on the interior. (You'll need a hub for proper compatibility with Alexa, sold separately.)
You can unlock/lock your door remotely from your phone or the web, or via Alexa, once connected, and the Z-Wave Connect allows up to 30 unique PIN codes to be stored at once.
More info about the Schlage Connect Touchscreen Deadbolt:
Voice assistant & smart home support: The Schlage Connect smart lock works with:
Anything extra cool about it? If any tries to pry open the lock or force the door open, the Schlage Z-Wave Connect Camelot will emit a shrieking siren to alert everyone in the home and (hopefully) frighten away the intruder.
- Offers the ANSI Grade 1 highest level residential security
- Maintains a solid 4-star rating Amazon after 2,761 reviews
- Touchscreen is durable with a matte finish
- While it doesn't have its own app, you can connect it with a smart hub for remote access
- Tech support/customer service are great, well-informed and helpful (but you might wait up to an hour on hold to speak with one on busy days)
- Built-in alarm comes with 3 settings
- Battery will drain if deadbolt isn't properly fitted for door; see settings for low/high energy in instruction manual
- It takes 4 AA batteries to run
- Occasional long waits for customer service (up to an hour on busy days)
This smart door lock comes highly recommended by nearly all who've purchased it. The touchscreen is fingerprint-resistant, so potential thieves can't tell which 4 buttons get pushed the most to help them guess your PIN. Lock yourself out without a key or a phone? Just enter your PIN. Nice-looking, good quality, and easy to install.
It's necessary to mention one more Schlage lock, since one of the best Alexa compatible smart locks we've found today is the Schlage Sense.
Forget your keys forever with the Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt, as your smartphone becomes your key with the free Sense app — or just enter your access code on the touchscreen.
View schedules and activity history via Schlage's free iOS and Android apps, and lock or unlock your door from anywhere in the world when you pair your device with the Schlage Sense Wi-Fi adapter.
Voice control via Alexa works with the Sense adapter as well. Can be paired with Apple HomeKit devices for iOS and Siri voice controls as well.
Also one of the best looking Alexa compatible door locks, the Schlage Sense is available in Century or Camelot styles in choice of Satin Nickel, Matte Black, or Aged Bronze.
More info on the Schlage Sense:
Voice assistant & smart home support: The Schlage Sense smart lock works with:
Anything extra cool about it? Using a filter to search Schlage products that work with Alexa resulted in 14 products. Browse them here.
- Secure encryption
- Sounds an alarm if someone is trying to break in through the Schlage door
- Allows user to set timer to lock after a certain amount of time after they've entered
- Log tracks every action so you can see who unlocked or locked the door and when
- Maintains a solid 4-star rating after 689 reviews on Amazon
- Setup is quick and simple
- Set passcodes to any length you want, 4-8 digits (must all be the same length, however); also can set passcodes for only certain people at certain times
- Can still use your physical key if you forget your passcode
- Some experienced long wait times on hold for customer service
- A few reported smart lock malfunctioning
Most reviews are favorable on Amazon (71% 5-star and 4-star ratings). Some report problems with the smart lock, being locked out, etc., while others report the lock system works flawlessly at all times, even when locking or unlocking while on a plane at 32,000 feet. The Schlage Sense comes with a 3-year electronic and a lifetime mechanical warranty, so do follow up if you're having problems within those time frames.
The Lockitron Bolt Alexa Enabled Smart Lock, while newer on the market, appears to offer premium features at a low price, complete with a modern look and completely keyless design.
Only exposed to the interior of your door, there is a lower chance of anyone attempting to tamper with it.
Once properly connected via the Bridge, it works with Alexa to lock and unlock with your voice. It also opens for you keylessly when you approach the door using the Sense feature.
The Bolt's bolt is made to fit your current key as a backup, and the Lockitron companion app works with both iOS and Android phones to keep you updated on who and when folks enter or leave your house.
More about the Lockitron Bolt:
Voice assistant & smart home support: The Lockitron Bolt smart lock works with:
Anything extra cool about it? The price is low.
- Easy installation
- Proximity unlock using geofencing features work well
- Long battery life of around 6 months (includes first set of 4 AA batteries for you - and will email you when they're running low)
- Quickly responds to lock and unlock commands
- Sense notifications work perfectly
- Reliably records entering/exiting events in Activity log
- Tap to unlock feature does not always work
- Few customer reviews as the product is new
- Some reported difficulties with responsiveness and getting locked out
The Lockitron Bolt Alexa Enabled Smart Lock is great for budget shoppers who want a basic door lock that connects with Alexa for voice commands. Some have indicated theirs works flawlessly; others not so much. Make a note to yourself to keep a second entrance in mind just in case this happens to malfunction - we don't want you locked outside.
Sesame Smart Lock
The Sesame Smart Lock can manage even hard-to-turn locks with a built-in adjustable gripper.
Enjoy keyless entry using either your phone or Alexa — and allow your friends to do the same during the set times of your choosing.
The app stores a history log of every time anyone locks or unlocks your door, which you can view anytime.
Sesame will auto-lock the door behind you if you forget, and auto-unlock it for you when it detects you're in range of the doorstep.
Sesame installs easily over your current deadbolt without any need for tools or expert setup.
It comes in 4 subtle colors to suit every decor.
More info about the Sesame smart lock:
Voice assistant & smart home support: The Sesame smart lock works with:
Be sure to learn the proper way to address Alexa for optimal performance.
Anything extra cool about it? 'Knock' on your phone to unlock your door (applies to iOS only). Learn how to set it up here.
- Super easy installation with a faster app than similar others
- You can still use your physical key if necessary
- Runs for up to 500 days on 2 included Panasonic CR123A batteries
- Sign up to receive notifications whenever your door opens and closes
- Sesame is AES-256-GCM and TLS 1.2 Military-Grade encrypted
- Has 54% positive (4 and 5-star rating) reviews on Amazon
- Some reported difficulties with Android compatibility
- Some needed to direct Sesame to unlock 2 or 3 times before it worked; others reported it didn't work or sometimes unlocked itself without prompting
- Some had trouble reaching customer service and found lack of solutions when they did
Sesame smart locks are great for apartment rentals or for those just getting accustomed to the smart lock as a feature of the home. Easy to install and fits over most deadbolt locks. If you find yours doesn't fit or doesn't work well, reach out to Sesame right away at email@example.com and initiate a refund or request replacement.
Ultraloq UL3 BT
The Ultraloq UL3 BT from U-Tec offers 5 ways to unlock your smart-locked door. Use your smartphone app, enter your code on the keypad, or let it read your stored fingerprint - or 'knock' on your phone 4 times to open it. (OR use *Alexa if you have the Ultraloq Bridge! See demo here).
Ultraloq's advanced fingerprint identification system can ID you in 5 seconds or less, stores up to 95 unique fingerprints, and works for kids as well as adults.
The 'anti-peep' touchscreen obscures the view of your PIN as you enter it on your keypad so no one can steal it by watching you from nearby.
The Ultraloq comes with 3 AA batteries, known to last up to a year.
The Ultraloq's zinc alloy body is a solid one-piece unit, rated IP65 water-resistant and dustproof for both inside and outside doors.
View all users with access to your lock anytime, and check the Ultraloq's handy log record of who has entered your door and when.
Use the Ultraloq 'Clone' feature to migrate all users' passcodes to a new lock whenever you add a new one.
Set up auto-lock, privacy lookout, and free passage features to your desired time frames.
Available in 3 colors to suit any room's decor.
More about the Ultraloq UL3 BT:
Voice assistant & smart home support: The Ultraloq UL3 BT smart lock works with:
Anything extra cool about it? The Knock-to-open feature lets you 'knock' 4 times on your phone to unlock your door - works even if it's in your pocket.
- Original batteries last about 6 months; alerts you with a low battery alarm when it's time to change them
- Comes with an 18-Month Electronic and Lifetime Mechanical Warranty
- Maintains a solid 4-star rating on Amazon after 461 reviews
- Easy installation (for most, but you will need at least a basic level of skill and be able to follow a series of precise instructions via video how-to)
- Some reported theirs shut down when in direct sunlight for an extended time; others reported the same when it was raining
- Some had trouble with their fingerprint entry failing sometimes; had to use keypad entry instead (firmware updates may resolve this)
This is a cutting edge product that works for most who've bought it. If purchased from U-Tec there's a 30-day refund guarantee. Register for your warranty at time of purchase to be sure all is in place in case you need to use it. Contact U-Tec here with any questions prior to purchase. *Note: As of March 2018, U-Tech was running the Alexa voice commands in test mode, and were in the certification process to be approved by Amazon. They are likely to be there now; confirm it here.
Well, there ya have it — 10 of the best smart locks that work with Alexa. Do you think you'll get one? Any concerns about it? (We read one person's concern while writing this and thought it was interesting. They wondered what would stop an intruder from directing Alexa to 'tell the lock system to unlock' while speaking to it while outside through an open window if they happen to know or guess your password...)
Anyway, time will tell what works and doesn't with this new and exciting feature. More often than not, it's likely to be a convenient and worthwhile time-saving strategy for smart home owners.
Any advice from the experts on the matter? Consumer Reports' privacy and security testing program manager Robert Richter suggested new Alexa-enhanced smart lock users, "...Make sure you don't use an easy-to-guess PIN code...make sure you change any default passwords...and keep the Alexa and corresponding smart lock apps up to date." Wise words.